Subject: Re: strange console scrolling on SS10... what to fix?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Stevens <stevenss@tcfreenet.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/05/2001 09:11:53
At 09:06 AM 4/5/2001, User Nbsdbob NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 04:27:21PM -0400, User Nbsdbob NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > > I just got in an SS10 from the scrap heap, with a GX framebuffer.
> > > I tried installing NetBSD-1.5 and it died horribly with faults.
> >
> > If it dies while booting the install media, you might want to check
> > which slots the memory is installed in. I don't know if that would be
> > guaranteed to affect a 1.4.x install the same, but it bites a lot of
> > people. (Could even be why it was discarded ;-)
>
>It has 128mb of 16M sticks, and died reading the cd.  When I tried
>it from floppy it trashed the screen after writing the disklabel.
>It might be a video problem or maybe a ram problem?  Not sure yet.
>OpenBSD also caused it to panic and crash.  Interesting, it is now
>the scsi or the cdrom drive that is off.  Something must be just a
>tad off, somewhere.  Would pulling/reseating all the ram help any?
>Are there any strange prom setting peculiar to the SS10?
>
>That is what I get for dumpster diving.  The box is in pretty rough
>shape.  But, beggars can't be choosy, and have to make do with whatever
>spit/glue/bailingwire/etc, to get the thing going.
>
>Bob

I would recommend pulling out part of the RAM and trying with just 32 or 64
Megs of RAM in the box to try to eliminate problems with one particular
stick of memory.  You can move in various of the memory sticks to try to
isolate a bad one.  I have a SS10 running NetBSD without any problems,
though mine has only 64 MB of RAM and 16 of Video RAM (mine is a dual head
SS10SX).  There are docs on Sun's website telling which memory slots to
populate first (actually it's the whole service manual for SS10).

Scott Stevens
stevenss@tcfreenet.org