Subject: Re: strange console scrolling on SS10... what to fix?
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: User Nbsdbob NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/05/2001 10:06:28
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 04:27:21PM -0400, User Nbsdbob NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > I just got in an SS10 from the scrap heap, with a GX framebuffer.
> > I tried installing NetBSD-1.5 and it died horribly with faults.
>
> If it dies while booting the install media, you might want to check
> which slots the memory is installed in. I don't know if that would be
> guaranteed to affect a 1.4.x install the same, but it bites a lot of
> people. (Could even be why it was discarded ;-)

It has 128mb of 16M sticks, and died reading the cd.  When I tried
it from floppy it trashed the screen after writing the disklabel.
It might be a video problem or maybe a ram problem?  Not sure yet.
OpenBSD also caused it to panic and crash.  Interesting, it is now
the scsi or the cdrom drive that is off.  Something must be just a
tad off, somewhere.  Would pulling/reseating all the ram help any?
Are there any strange prom setting peculiar to the SS10?

That is what I get for dumpster diving.  The box is in pretty rough
shape.  But, beggars can't be choosy, and have to make do with whatever
spit/glue/bailingwire/etc, to get the thing going.

Bob