Subject: Re: xforms
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/05/2001 07:11:44
On "Thu, 05 Apr 2001 12:51:37 +0100", Greg MATTHEWS <G.Matthews@cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>hi...
>
>has anyone managed to install xforms on a sparc running 1.5? i posted
>something similar on netbsd-help but got no reponse so was wondering if this
>was sparc related.

Yes, with some hackery.  And it's not that it's sparc (hardware)
related, it's that it's sparc-elf vs. everything else including
sparc-a.out related.

>xforms compiles fine when i do a 'make' in the /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xforms
>directory but when i do a 'make install' it produces the following:
>
>potomac# make install
>===> Installing for xforms-0.88nb1
>make: don't know how to make fd2ps/fd2ps. Stop
>*** Error code 2
>
>Stop.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>
>what is fd2ps/fd2ps? i see it appears in the ./files/Makefile here:

It's a utility for translating output from the Forms Library into
PostScript.  It's supposed to be included as a binary in the package,
but such is not the case on sparc-elf.

>PRaGS=          DESIGN/fdesign fd2ps/fd2ps
>INCLUDES=       FORMS/forms.h
>
>MAN1=           DESIGN/fdesign.1 fd2ps/fd2ps.1
>MAN5=           FORMS/xforms.5
>
>any pointers much appreciated... or if someone has a precompiled binary for
>1.5 that i could pkg_add...

I got around it by grabbing the sparc-aout version of xforms-0.88 and
pulling the fd2ps binary from there.  Basically, I did a make extract
of the (elf) package, dropped the a.out binary in the apropriate place
in the work directories and went from there.

I tried contacting the author, but got the impression that we're
expected to upgrade to 0.89 to fix things on this end.
--
T. M. Pederson <salvage@plethora.net>
PGP key fingerprint = 48 94 7A 54 59 B6 C0 77  1F F6 94 55 0C 55 51 C4