Subject: Re: Serial Connection
To: Laurence McLean <lollie@dux.au.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/31/2001 00:06:53
Laurence McLean drunkenly mumbled...

> I managed to get NetBSD installed on my sparcstation2 ok.... so thats all
> good...

excellent.

> But when i am connected via serial to the sparcstation, either through a
> terminal or through another
> computer, and I either unplug the connection or turn the terminal off, It
> will completely
> drop out of NetBSD and back to the bios of the sparc... Is this crazy or is
> it just me??

nope, this is the way it's "supposed" to work.  you issue a BREAK on the serial
line and you get dropped out of the OS into the ROM Monitor.  disconnecting the
cable simulates this break.

> ps.. it doesnt even have time to unmount the disks, it just drops back to
> the bios, ready
> for booting again...

not ready for booting, suspended.  the OS has just be stopped.  if you type
'go' at the PROM prompt you will get put back into your running system.

> Any thoughts on this??

uhm, ahhhhh.   hmmm.  mine doesn't do that, but it may have been configured to
ignore it.  although i thought once the OS was loaded it was up to the OS as
to what to do about the break.  maybe i'm wrong.

-brian