Subject: Re: What does this message re sd (esp0:1:0) mean?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/30/2001 14:14:40
> Getting back to the original poster's train of thought, this
> means that a particular area on your disk is marginal.  The

I've got two disks that were pulled out of the garbage that had
some totally corrupted areas.  I did a "scsi format" on them, and
kept a record of all the bad medium sectors that had to be remapped.
When installing NetBSD (both Sun 4/40s), I partitioned chunks of
the disk that included these bad areas plus a small buffer zone on
either side into file systems that are never used, or even mounted
for that matter.  One disk (250MB) has been humming along for 3 years
without trouble.  The other one (1.2GB) runs my main www server and
has not had trouble since it was installed nearly a year ago.

Certainly wouldn't recommend this to production people, but if your
wallet's empty ...

henry nelson