Subject: Re: What does this message re sd (esp0:1:0) mean?
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Rebecca Ore <rebecca@ogoense.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/2001 11:49:04
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> > 	Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd: sd0(esp0:1:0):  Check Condition on
> > 	CDB: 0x08 0
> > 	4 d3 84 10 00
> > 	Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Recovered Error
> > 	Mar 29 05:07:12 paradoxa /netbsd:    INFO FIELD:  316306
> > 	Mar 29 05:07:13 paradoxa /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  ASC 0x18 ASCQ 0x89
> > 	Mar 29 05:07:13 paradoxa /netbsd:
> >
> > Time to buy a new disk.
> > Don't know what the 0x89 is but 0x18 is some type of a recovered data
> > error.  If you're getting lots of them it probably means your media
> > is probably going bad.  It will probably get worse until you start losing
> > data.  I recommend backing everything up and replacing that disk.
>
> While buying a new disk should certainly be put at the top of the
> list, I've also seen such errors when the sector headers got old and
> hard to read.  If its been many years since the last scsi format you
> may want to do one and see if the disk acts more sanely after that.

I got the disk used -- most of what I have is scrounged (the machine
is a Sparc LX) and I'm running INN on it with most of the INN
installation on a second 4 gig drive.  The drive that's going is my
boot drive.

Scsi format?  I made new file systems on both drives when I installed
NetBSD.  Is this something other than that?

I installed NetBSD around the first of January.  I would have thought
all that would have been done then.  And I have no idea how old the
drives are.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net