Subject: re: SMP support?
To: Sebastian Marius Kirsch <skirsch@moebius.inka.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/2001 17:54:58

   are there any news concerning SMP support in NetBSD? I just got a
   SPARCserver 670MP, on which I'd love to put NetBSD -- if only it were
   able to use the second processor.

   OK, so I'll probably put NetBSD on it anyway -- the alternatives are not
   that great. Linux will boot on it, but I haven't been able to persuade
   it to use the second processor yet, and Solaris will only run up to
   version 2.5.1 (or 2.6 with patches.) Besides, NetBSD is fun, but Solaris
   is work.

SMP support for NetBSD/sparc is in development.  large amounts of work
have been done and in my development kernel, it crashes the first time
CPU 1 tries to run a process.  how much further is left to go is not
completely known, so there is no timescale for it.

you can build a kernel from -current with "options MULTIPROCESSOR" and
it will find other cpus, fire them up into their own idle loop, quietly
spinning away doing nothing useful.

stay tuned to this mailing list for progress.

.mrg.