Subject: Re: Net Booting problems...
To: Laurence McLean <lollie@dux.au.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/24/2001 20:33:50
On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Laurence McLean wrote:

# Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:44:33 +0930
# From: Laurence McLean <lollie@dux.au.com>
# To: port-sparc@netbsd.org
# Subject: Net Booting problems...
#
# Hello there,
#
# I have just subscribed to this list, and this question has probably been
# asked before...
#
# I have just got my hands on a Sparcstation 2 and have it connected to a
# wyse terminal... its network connection is through an Alloy aui to
# ethernet converter at 10Mb....  I have (tried to) setup a boot server
# for it to install NetBSD on my FreeBSD (Please dont hurt me) server, and
# it keeps failing when it tries to perform a whoami call....  Could this
# be a DNS prob?? I set the sparcstation up in my /etc/hosts file with the
# following line.. 192.168.0.85 joob <----(joob being the name on the
# sparcstation)
#
# My bootparams file is as follows
#
# #/etc/bootparams
# client root=nimrod:/lollie/home/NetBSD_Sparc <----
# 						nimrod being the server
#
# (please dont tell me that the word client in the above line is supposed
# to be the host name of the sparcstaion.....)

Okay, I won't tell you.  But I'd be lying by omission. :-)

# any input would be very helpful....

Have you set up /etc/ethers with the MAC address of the SPARCstation 2,
and are you running rarpd somewhere?

i.e.

#/etc/ethers
08:00:20:44:23:49	joob

nimrod# (ps axc | grep rarpd) || /usr/sbin/rarpd -a

# By Laurence..

Hope this helps.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: preferred by Rocket Scientists and Moms!