Subject: Ancient Unix (was Re: Setting up multiple virtual terminals?)
To: None <marc@ex.cis.temple.edu>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/18/2001 21:04:02
[snip]

   > Also, SPARCstations do not (currently) support virtual consoles.

   Darn darn darn... I've been spoiled by the ultra-giant-super servers we
   have running linux... ah well... The older hardware is more fun anyway :)

   Don't suppose there is a netbsd for pdp/11's? ;)

[Taking the smily a little too seriously.....]

You can get the last BSD 2.x version that runs on the PDP11 by applying
for an 'Ancient Unix source license' from SCO [a free process now] which
will allow you to purchase the two CDROM set of BSD source code.  This
should give you binaries and source back to the BSD 2.x days.  You can
also get access to the sources from the PUPS archive [PDP preservation
society, I believe], which would include binaries and source clear back to
the V5 days.

The various addresses escape me at the moment for SCO or the CDs, but I am
sure that someone here can point them out, if there is a real interest.

The various PDP11 emulators should be able to run most of this stuff.  I
know that there is a PDP11 emulator up on gatekeeper.dec.com that compiles
nicly under NetBSD.  SCO was also nice enough to provide bootable images
of V5, V6 and V7 Unix, available in the same location, that would boot
under that emulator.

For a more recent experience with older computers, there is some work
being done on a port of NetBSD to the sun2.  See the port-sun3 mailing
list for more details....

   Thanks to everyone who helped so far
   Marc

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org