Subject: netscape and compat_svr4
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Debertin <airboss@dusk.bitstream.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2001 21:19:42
I have an ELC (sun4c) with 1.5 installed that I'm trying to coax netscape
to run on. I have a complete SunOS 5.5.1 tree under /emul/svr4. I've
whacked out /emul/svr4/{dev,etc} and run the SVR4_MAKEDEV script, and
everything else in the compat_svr4 manpage. Still, I'm getting "Illegal
Instruction" when trying to run the netscape binary.

This machine is running diskless, booting the GENERIC kernel and mounting
its root filesystem from another machine, which is also running NetBSD.
The netscape tarball that I'm using (from NS's FTP site) is called
"navigator-v474-us.sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1.tar.gz". If anyone knows of a
version that works, or of something that I need to do, I'd appreciate your
help. Thanks.

Dan Debertin
airboss@dusk.bitstream.net