Subject: Re: solaris emulation problem
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2001 17:09:08
At 4:59 PM -0800 2/28/01, Greywolf wrote:

:)This also applies to the graphics options for the SS5, in all likelihood.
:)I'd love to be able to get 24-bit on my ss5/170!

Nice machine!  Of course, I'd also like 24 bpp on my SparcBook, but that's
more unrealistic since there isn't source code in Solaris for it, only an
i386 PCI card based on the same chipset.  Wrong bus, and wrong arch, but it
is in XFree86.

:)# :)One avenue to pursue: the SS20 is almost certainly EOL now
:)
:)I think the entire Sun4m set falls into this category.

Yeah, looks like they finally stopped selling the SS5/170's.

:)It would occur to me that the how-to-access-the-registers bit is the
:)tricky thing; everything after that would be the acceleration.

Which is why I was asking about the Solaris X server -- once we can get it
to talk to the hardware, it should do the acceleration, resolution
switching, and whatnot.

:)I'd settle for slow 24-bit just because the Sun4m series aren't really
:)fast enough to animate anything decently anyway.

Are you willing to chip into the "beer bounty fund"?

  -- MW