Subject: Re: relatively cheap UltraSPARC system from Sun
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/2001 06:42:46
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Erik E. Fair said:
>
> >http://www.sun.com/desktop/sunblade100/specs.html
> >
> >The minimum system config with 15GB disk, and 128MB RAM is $995 (US).
>
> The "web special" price is $950 (US).
>
> I think I'm going to buy one and run Solaris 8 on it until NetBSD
> supports it.

I'd be curious to see what kind of performance you can eek out of it with
only 256k of cache.  The one thing which has stopped me from going out and
buying one of the Netra X1s or the Blade 100s is the small cache.  I can't
convince myself that it's worth it.

Has anyone run one of these smaller ultrasparc IIs with the smaller cache,
and has anyone been able to say "it's okay" or "it's a slug" [or,
hopefully, "it's fast, but it'll be faster once NetBSD runs on it ;-]?

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
   "I wonder how many people actually read my .sig?"