Subject: solaris emulation problem
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/25/2001 22:19:19
Howdy,

I thought I'd try the Solaris X server since cgfourteen isn't supported as
24 bpp natively.  I had no problems with HP-UX emulation getting the HP-UX
X11R5 server to run on my hp300, so I was hoping this would get me a better
X server.

After following the directions in compat_svr4, when I try running the
solaris 2.6 X server, I get:
(sunra) # ./Xsun
Bad system call

I also tried a pre-packaged X11R6.4 server from sunsite.org:
(sunra) # ./X

Fatal server error:
Unsupported keyboard type -1

There's no /emul/svr4/dev/kbd, and I'm using a Type 5 keyboard (which works
fine with the normal NetBSD Xsun as well as the Solaris 2.6 Xsun and the
sunsite X11R6.4 under Solaris).  I also mknod'ed an /emul/svr4/dev/kbd
entry with the same properties as /dev/kbd, but that produced the same
error message.  When I try cat < /dev/kbd it produces the requisite gunk
when I type stuff on the keyboard so that works.

Any suggestions?  I'd appreciate *some* method of using 24 bpp under NetBSD
on my SS20.

Thanks,
  -- MW