Subject: IPX NVRAM woes; replacement NVRAM won't pass post but works
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/21/2001 00:15:13
Hi,

	I replaced the NVRAM's in 2 recently acquired IPX's, they were real
	M48T02 chips and not the Dallas Semi known to have problems in IPX's.

	The POST claims it read 7f out of the register at f20007fa rather than
	ff.

	The NVRAM FAQ claims 7f is what it SHOULD read since this is the
	minutes register and the high bit should be 0.

	Ideas? Thoughts? Does NetBSD handle the "Kickstart" process automatically
	like Solaris does? I ran the process manually but it didn't change the
	POST results.

	Can I override the POST test with the nvrc? The failed POST prevents
	autobooting from working. B^(.

	NVRAM seems to keep time and eeprom parameters OK.

	Is the POST test just plain broken for more modern NVRAM chips?

	Any info, pointers or fixes appreciated.

		-Rob