Subject: Re: Building boot tapes for sparc
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/18/2001 19:13:13
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

>mmmmmmm, hanging lots of SCSI drives off an old sun box for network storage.
>nope, never done that myself (twiddles with lots of SCSI drives hanging off an
>old sun box for network storage) nope, not at all.  :)

Hmm, before I finally made our ss20 "disappear" at work it was sitting
in the corner with about 6 .5-1GB full height scsi drives hanging off of
it.  The SCSI chain was barely within spec and all drives were running at
SCSI1 speeds, in fact most of them still had SCSI1 connectors on their
enclosures.  I'm sure you remember the old connectors with 50 pins in 3
rows, before somebody figured out centronics and mini-din were the way
to go.  I about had a heart attack when I started working there and saw
that disk farm.  I promptly bought an IDE RAID canister with built in
IDE-to-SCSI controller and added 360GB of storage to the network and put
those drives to rest.  We were afraid to even turn them off before
getting the data off, we were afraid they'd never spin up again.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a