Subject: Re: Optimizer bug in NetBSD/SPARC64 1.5?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/16/2001 09:24:45
On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 07:31:08PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    The NMH "scan" program just reads the headers of each mail message in an NMH
>    folder.  So all the first column numbers should have been consecutively
>    numbered file names.  But instead of "1", etc. it was coming up with "?4128"
>    which to me shows some kind of massive overflow problem with "-O2" in that
>    particular instance.
>
> hmm.  "scan" works for me.  dunno what is up here.

IIRC (and it's been a while), mh mucks about with the internals of a
FILE, and the last time I looked at nmh, it did the same. It was
noticeable for me when using "scan" (on an unrelated hardware platform),
which is the only reason I mention it.

Whilst that's no excuse for it working without optimisation, and not
working with optimisation, it may be an area to investigate.

Regards,
Alistair