Subject: Re: NetBSD vs OpenBSD sparc disklabels?????
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/2001 11:05:38
> NetBSD Bob drunkenly mumbled...
> > creep in and make things incompatible?  Darn.....
>
> it's what makes it fun.  it's also what makes it pay so darn well.  if things
> didn't break all the time, i'd be out of a job.

Darn, I am in the wrong job, it seems.....(:+{{...  mebbie when I retire
later this year, I can get a real sysadmin job....(:+}}...

> > Now I have to make some executive decisions as to whether I want to
> > redo the sunjunk in NetBSD or OpenBSD.
>            ^^^^^^^
> you watch your mouth punk. :)

Ahh, well, all my sunstuff is everyone else's castoff junk, so
I calls it by what it is....(:+{{.....junque.....  Still, as long
as it runs, I run with it all the ways to da bank.  As a hip pocket
teaching webserver, the ol' SS1 crate still does admirable service.
And, the price was right!  But, since OpenBSD crashed on it when
the NVRAM went south, I lost all my usrlocal ports and webstuff.
So, the executive decision still has to be made as to whether or
not to run Net-vs-Open on it.  Because of that silly disklabel
incompabibility with OpenBSD, that probably will say I need to go
with NetBSD on it, like on my VAXentoyz.

> > Anyone know if the VAX ports in NetBSD or OpenBSD have this problem?
> > I tried unrolling a VAX OpenBSD port from NetBSD VAX, and it seemed
> > that the disklabels may have been off, because the system would just
> > not come up, at all, and jumped out to prom.
>
> as long as OpenBSD doesn't seem to have a problem with things, or can at least
> bash them into something resembling a sane state from it's point of view, i
> don't see why it shouldn't work.  just babbling here, don't have a real answer
> for you, sorry.

Well, if anyone does know, do holler.  I was hoping that the Net/Open VAX
ports were close enuf in structure/fs/labels/etc., that I could use one
to run up the other.  Yeah, I know, I am a heretic for wanting to try the
other side's port, but, still, it would be nice for someone to bring them
up together on identical hardwares and see what kinds o' monkey wrenches
they can tit for tat at each other.

> -brian (Sun Bigot)

I be favoring VAXen, more than Sunstuff, since that NVRAM biz is sun's
achilles heel.

Bob