Subject: Re: Optimizer bug in NetBSD/SPARC64 1.5?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/2001 07:54:56
> Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>  wrote:
>> The NMH "scan" program just reads the headers of each mail message in an NMH
>> folder.  So all the first column numbers should have been consecutively
>> numbered file names.  But instead of "1", etc. it was coming up with "?4128"
>> which to me shows some kind of massive overflow problem with "-O2" in that
>> particular instance.
>
> You need to modify your 'scan' form in ~/.mh/whatever.  It just means you've
> overflowed the print-width.

Bzzzzt.

No, this wasn't the problem.  I had already globally modified the scan form in
h/scansbr.h (FORMAT) to deal with that particular issue.  I still got the scan
failures after making that change, which I've made to every version of MH and
NMH I've built for eons.  I should have mentioned that in the previous message.

> Here's mine, works for 5 digit numbers:
>
> 	%5(msg)%<(cur)+%| %>%<{replied}-%|%<{encrypted}E%| %>%>\
>       [...]

My global change to h/scansbr.h was also to handle 5-digit numbers, like yours.

With the same exact default "FORMAT" string in h/scansbr.h, it worked fine if
I compiled it with -g/-O/no flags and it failed when I compiled it with -O2.
That's not a scan format problem  :-)

	- Greg