Subject: re: Optimizer bug in NetBSD/SPARC64 1.5?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/2001 22:27:25
hi greg,

it's safe to say that the sparc64 compiler is, uh, poor at best.  that it
works as well as it does surprises me every day, i think.  you'll find that
there are several work arounds in the netbsd source tree for sparc64
compiler bugs.  see doc/HACKS.  this one looks not like the others, though,
i don't know exactly what this program is doing :-)

unfortunately, avenues for alternative compliers are poor.  gcc-current won't
build sparc64-elf for me, no sparc64-netbsd (hasn't for _months_).. i've tried
to get the sparclinux compiler working (they use the red hat `gcc 2.96' thing..
it has dozens and sparc64 patches..) but i couldn't get that working, even for
`sparc64-elf'.  (i have given up trying to fix the compiler for now.)

.mrg.