Subject: miniroot fails
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Herzog <mherzog@mediaone.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/14/2001 19:48:18
Hi Sparcers.

I am trying to boot miniroot from my Debian swap
partition and I am following the instructions
to the letter from the:
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/sparc/INSTALL.html
page. The PROM insists that the file is not executable, so I
ran a chmod +x in miniroot.fs before I did:
dd if=miniroot.fs of=/dev/rsd0b bs=4k conv=sync
This did not help. I got the same error message.

Also the floppy install fails when I try to let
the process mount the second floppy (/dev/rfd0a):
fd0: timeout: state 16
fd0: timeout: state 13
fd0: timeout: state 13
fd0: timeout: state 13
fd0a: hard error reading fsbn 0
fd0: controller status 13
fd0: timeout: state 10
fd0: timeout: state 13
fd0: timeout: state 13
fd0: timeout: state 13
fd0: timeout: state 13
fd0a: hard error reading fsbn 0 of 0-127
fd0: controller status 13
tar: End of archive volume 1 reached

Attention! tar archive volume change required.
Ready for archive name or "." to quit tar.
Archive name >

The sad thing is, the Debian floppy install worked
flawlessly, and it uses two disks as well.

fairly well.

--
Matthew Herzog			Unix Administrator
mherzog@mediaone.net            Powered by NetBSD