Subject: Re: SS4 powerup?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/12/2001 00:37:50
    Date:        Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:53:09 -0500 (EST)
    From:        der Mouse  <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>

  | I've got a SS4.  I've basically been happy with NetBSD/sparc on it, but
  | I had a house power failure last night, which prompts this question: is
  | there any way to set the thing so that it powers up automatically upon
  | mains power returning?

No, the SS4 power supply is a dumb smart supply - it has a "soft" switch,
but no memory as to what state it was in before, it always powers up "off".

When I was getting a new SS a few years ago, the choices were a SS4 or SS5.
I didn't care (I was never going to get a 24 bit frame buffer for a SS5...)
but told the people buying it that if it was a SS4 it had to have a UPS
so it would stay running.   Since a SS4 + UPS was cheaper than a SS5, that's
what I got...   Since then it has happily sailed through the odd power
glitch that has been experienced (and I now suspect that the SS4+UPS was
a better option that the SS5 would have been anyway...).

Without a UPS so you can avoid the power outages, you're out of luck
(a SS4 doesn't draw a lot of current if you leave the monitor on mains
power - so a tiny UPS is sufficient - mine is about the smallest
available, and will keep the SS4 running about a half hour).

kre