Subject: Re: Modem troubles
To: Ken Nagorski <kenn@pcintelligent.com>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/07/2001 17:18:47
Ken,
I don't know if this will help, but, I'll tell you what I just did.

I had ppp basically set up and working with a modem on
my i386 running netbsd.

Then I decided to shift this modem to my sparcstation 2.
(Very similar to your 1+).  I just copied all the files necessary
over to the sparc 2. /etc/ppp and /etc/ipf.conf and /etc/ipnat.conf
(last 2 only if you need to have ipnat) and the shell script(s)
to run it all. I used a gender changer to connect the modem,
through a DB 25 plug, but thats all, no null modem. Then I
altered some of my ppp scripts to talk to the correct device
file in /dev. Oh, and I also changed some or one of the ppp
scripts to set up the serial port max speed to 38400 or
something instead of 115000 or what ever big speed it is
on the intel that is used due to the 16550 uart chip. Lastly
made sure the shell scripts were chmod to runnable.

Then the whole thing worked on the sparc!

Point is, apart from the serial port speed and the different
device to talk to in /dev, I don't think any other changes
where needed.  ie the modem should work on the
sparc just as easily as with an intel box. It's the upper
layer(s) of software talking to the modem so the hardware
platform makes no difference so long as you can talk
through the serial port.

So ASSUMING you can test it all working on intel,
you may not be far away from success.

hope this is some help, but I guess unless you have it working
already on INTEL and therefore feel confident about
it on there, all this may not help.

Paul.

Ken Nagorski wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>         A while ago I posted a question about setting up an external modem
> on a sparc1+. I didn't get a response so I figured that meant I need to do
> a little more research and I would find the info I am lookinf for. Well, I
> still am having no luck. I have tried a few modems ( I had an old 14.4
> Supra as wel as a 28.8 USR) One of those should work. But I can'g get
> anything. I even tried buying a new cable, I have tried null, non-null
> (out of frustration) and i just can't get anything to work. I have looked
> at the tty settings from the OK prompt. Everything there is fine.
>         Hmm, I just can't get anything other than the CS (Clear to
> send) light. I should have the CD (Carrier detect) shouldn't I? I followed
> the instructions rom the manual and set up a /etc/uucp/port file. It looks
> like this.
>
> type modem
> port modem
> device /dev/ttya (I've tried ttysa & ttys0) Shrug*
> speed 115200
>
>         Now,  all I get when I type cu -p modem is this
> Connected.
> cu: write: Input/output error
>
>         I hope someone can point me in the right direction cause I am
> bummin...
>
> Thanks
> Ken
>
> --
> I've got all the money I'll ever need if I die by 4 o'clock.
>                 -- Henny Youngman

Paul      (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology