Subject: Modem troubles
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Nagorski <kenn@pcintelligent.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/07/2001 00:28:18
Hi there,

	A while ago I posted a question about setting up an external modem
on a sparc1+. I didn't get a response so I figured that meant I need to do
a little more research and I would find the info I am lookinf for. Well, I
still am having no luck. I have tried a few modems ( I had an old 14.4
Supra as wel as a 28.8 USR) One of those should work. But I can'g get
anything. I even tried buying a new cable, I have tried null, non-null
(out of frustration) and i just can't get anything to work. I have looked
at the tty settings from the OK prompt. Everything there is fine.
	Hmm, I just can't get anything other than the CS (Clear to
send) light. I should have the CD (Carrier detect) shouldn't I? I followed
the instructions rom the manual and set up a /etc/uucp/port file. It looks
like this.

type modem
port modem
device /dev/ttya (I've tried ttysa & ttys0) Shrug*
speed 115200

	Now,  all I get when I type cu -p modem is this
Connected.
cu: write: Input/output error

	I hope someone can point me in the right direction cause I am
bummin...

Thanks
Ken

--
I've got all the money I'll ever need if I die by 4 o'clock.
                -- Henny Youngman