Subject: Re: *stat commands failing
To: None <dme@dme.org>
From: William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/06/2001 09:25:11
> Perhaps `kvm_mkdb' is your friend (and/or `dev_mkdb', ...).

This one seems strange to me, so I figured I'd pass it on to the list.  After
learning about these commands I looked in /var/db, and kvm.db had a last
modified date of 8/23/1999(!!!).  It certainly should have run at boot on the
100+ reboots on at least 5 different -current kernel/userland updates since
then.

So I ran 'kvm_mkdb' by hand as root, nothing changed.  It didn't touch
/var/db/kvm.db.  I then moved the current kvm.db out of the way and re-ran
kvm_mkdb, and it created a new file that makes iostat/vmstat/netstat happy.

So thanks a bunch dme, now I'm curious as to why kvm_mkdb hasn't done anything
about this file in the last year and a half..  =)

As I think about it, 8/1999 was probably when I purchased and first installed
NetBSD on this box.  I checked and the permissions and flags (none) are the
same between the new and old files, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't
have been updated.  Perhaps this file should be in /var/run so that it gets
pruned every boot, like dev.db?

Thanks again.
                                         Will

                                                          Will Ferry