Subject: Re: i want FDDI
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Jason Wright <jason@thought.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/05/2001 17:56:45
On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 07:41:35PM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> what's the likelyhood of an FDDI driver ever getting written?  i have several
> Network Peripherals and Sun branded SBus FDDI adapters.  the work smashingly
> under Solaris 8 with the latest drivers from NP (haven't installed one of the
> Sun ones yet)

As soon as someone can convince the marketriods at NPI that releasing
their driver doesn't do them any harm development can begin.  It started
the process almost a year ago (if not longer) and they were having none
of it.

I know what chips are on it, but most important thing though is the
register mapping and then any hardware strangeness.  The hard part
about writing supports for these cards in particular is that they
do not handle ring negotiation internally; it must be done in
-ick- software, so that means writing ring handling, too.

If someone can convince them to give me documentation and/or SunOS
source I would be glad to write a driver as I have a ton of them
(well, at least several) and I've got experience writing Sbus
network drivers for BSD.

--Jason Wright