Subject: re: netscape on sparc?
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2001 10:29:30

   You are likely to see problems with 64-bit SVR4.  Sun took advantage of
   the 32-bit->64-bit transition to make some changes to SVR4 ABI.  It shouldn't
   be too difficult to fix, but until it is fixed you may have problems.

OK.  i should have a solaris 8 system soon enough... might work on it
then...

   	   What about 32-bit binaries?  I built Mozilla 0.7 on Solaris 2.6 and 7,
   	   the binaries are both

   	32 bit binaries require a much more complete emulation layer, that
   	translates significantly more sizes... see "compat/netbsd32" for the
   	generic netbsd code (i wonder if this can be used for this.. perhaps,
   	if we convert 32bit svr4 binaries to netbsd32 binaries, and then handled
   	them that way, would it work?  can syscall emulations be later like that?

   No, I don't think it will work.  The purpose of emulations is
   to do syscall conversion.  If we make it run under netbsd32
   then it will use those conversion routines.  What we need to
   do is convert SVR4 emulation.  Any of the syscalls that are
   the same can then call netbsd32 entry points, but SVR4 (or sunos)
   conversions need to occur before the netbsd32 are called.

well, this is basically what i meant by layering :-)  once you
convert the svr4 calls to 32 bit netbsd calls, the rest of the
work is done...  this could actually almost be simple.

.mrg.