Subject: re: netscape on sparc?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2001 00:08:09
   > OK, well, here's what i can guess is what is needed for compat stuff
   > on sparc64.
   >
   > 	- 32 bit shared libraries must live under /emul/netbsd32,
   > 	including the ld.so for this library.

   The stuff from ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/sparc/binary/sets in
   base.tgz?   Belongs here?  (In /emul/netbsd32)

just the files i meantioned, really (the shlibs, plus the libexec/ld*so)

   > 	- this means normal 1.5 `sparc' usr/lib/*.so* and
   > 	usr/libexec/ld.*so, plus a.out libraries (shared) in to
   > 	emul/aout/usr/lib. [*]

   Where does one get the "proper" a.out libraries?  From the 1.4.3 SPARC
   distribution?

1.4.3 SPARC is a good choice.

   > 	maybe compat_svr4 as-is works for 64-bit Solaris binaries.

   Using Solaris 7 /usr/lib/sparcv9/*.so libraries, or Solaris 8?

maybe. it hasn't been tested, to say that least, but it does compile
and it works in netbsd for 32 bit code with a 32 bit compiler... who
knows how far off it is for this.

   What about 32-bit binaries?  I built Mozilla 0.7 on Solaris 2.6 and 7,
   the binaries are both

32 bit binaries require a much more complete emulation layer, that
translates significantly more sizes... see "compat/netbsd32" for the
generic netbsd code (i wonder if this can be used for this.. perhaps,
if we convert 32bit svr4 binaries to netbsd32 binaries, and then handled
them that way, would it work?  can syscall emulations be later like that?

   I don't think I even *have* any 64-bit Solaris binaries anywhere ...

quite common.... solaris isn't really that much 64 bit yet ;-) much
of the kernel may be, but most of the userland does 32 bit.

.mrg.