Subject: Re: netscape on sparc?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/30/2001 14:43:53
Eduardo wrote:
>> Speaking of Netscape and other a.out binaries on 1.5 ...
>
>> Pretty much all of my old (sometimes really old) a.out binaries in
>> "/usr/local/bin" (pre-pkg era stuff) dies rather violently on my Ultra 5+.

[...]
> 	netbsd4me# ./ntptrace
> 	Abort trap
> 	netbsd4me# ./zipinfo
> 	Abort trap
[...]
>> This is pretty much what I get from everything in there, in one form or
>> another.
>
>> Any ideas?  I have /emul/svr4 and /emul/sunos fully populated ...
>
> That's predictable.  Solaris and SunOS are 32-bit.  Your kernel
> is 64-bit.  32-bit emulation has only been done for COMPAT_NETBSD32.

"ntptrace" and "zipinfo" are old NetBSD 1.3.x a.out binaries.

If I populate an "/emul/aout" tree with 1.4.3 SPARC libraries, will these
work again?  (Running under "ktrace", these programs die at the execve()
of the a.out file.)

I don't really need many of these old programs to run, but it would be
cool if they did.  :-)

	- Greg