Subject: Re: nell driver -- what needs to be done?
To: David C. Myers <myers@veetwin.aedifice.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/30/2001 17:42:17
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, David C. Myers wrote:

> I've just got one of these SBus-based PCMCIA readers.  What needs to
> be done on the driver?  I notice that simply inserting a card causes a
> panic...
>
> So:
>
> 1) Is anyone working on a driver?
>
> 2) Are there any reference materials on the chipsets used in this
> device?

	I believe pk wrote the driver working from some tech docs, but
	without access to the hardware.

> 3) Anything I need to know in general -- something like, oh, there'd
> have to be a major kernel overhaul to support insertions/removes...?
>
> 4) How do I specify which PCMCIA drivers should be included in my
> kernel?

	edit your /sys/arch/sparc/conf/XXX file before config.

> 5) What about this mysterious warning... "kernel panics if audioamd is
> also configured"?

	As far as I know, nell uses the same interrupt level as audioamd,
	and the kernel does not currently support that sharing.

	I no longer have access to a box with a nell, and I didn't really
	get to do anything useful with it while I had, but I know there
	will be some others out there who would love a working driver :)

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --