Subject: re: netscape on sparc?
To: None <mrg@eterna.com.au, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/30/2001 16:25:19

	   > 	maybe compat_svr4 as-is works for 64-bit Solaris binaries.

	   Using Solaris 7 /usr/lib/sparcv9/*.so libraries, or Solaris 8?

	maybe. it hasn't been tested, to say that least, but it does compile
	and it works in netbsd for 32 bit code with a 32 bit compiler... who
	knows how far off it is for this.

You are likely to see problems with 64-bit SVR4.  Sun took advantage of
the 32-bit->64-bit transition to make some changes to SVR4 ABI.  It shouldn't
be too difficult to fix, but until it is fixed you may have problems.

	   What about 32-bit binaries?  I built Mozilla 0.7 on Solaris 2.6 and 7,
	   the binaries are both

	32 bit binaries require a much more complete emulation layer, that
	translates significantly more sizes... see "compat/netbsd32" for the
	generic netbsd code (i wonder if this can be used for this.. perhaps,
	if we convert 32bit svr4 binaries to netbsd32 binaries, and then handled
	them that way, would it work?  can syscall emulations be later like that?

No, I don't think it will work.  The purpose of emulations is
to do syscall conversion.  If we make it run under netbsd32
then it will use those conversion routines.  What we need to
do is convert SVR4 emulation.  Any of the syscalls that are
the same can then call netbsd32 entry points, but SVR4 (or sunos)
conversions need to occur before the netbsd32 are called.

Eduardo