Subject: Re: netscape on sparc?
To: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/30/2001 07:58:46
> > > 4.7 is markedly faster than Mozilla 0.7 on Linux/PPC, and faster than
> > > Netscape 6 under MacOS.
> > > I would expect the same under Solaris.
> >
> > really?  that's pathetic.  4.7x is a bloated pig, i thought since they
> started
> > over one of the plans was to make it not a bloated pig anymore.  guess i
> was
> > wrong.  but the source is freely available, so all you *BSD nutjobs[1]
> will get
> > it running on PDP-8e and sun1 hardware, so it'll get more efficient.  :)
>
> LOL :)
>
> On this subject, is there any Mozilla based browser in the ports
> collection which uses the Gecko engine without all that shite stuck
> around the edges?  I know there are a few about - I just havent seen
> a NetBSD/sparc one yet.  Konqueror is a bit heavy too.  The words
> SPARC and Classic and 50MHz should scare you into thinking how
> efficient this needs to be, or how mad I am :P

My SparcStation LX takes 10 seconds to display 5KB of HTML and 2
JPEGs (77KB and 24KB) and this was using the "back" button, so it
should have all been cached and ready to go.  (I loaded another
page, hit "stop" when the window cleared, then hit "back" and timed
it.) It's about 40 seconds to load from scratch, and about 3 minutes
to start and have the same page loaded.

Maybe Apache is causing all the load, and Mozilla is just getting
the left overs....  But then how would that Mac and P3 laptop
display the same page coming from the same machine in less time
than I can count?

Anyone want to donate a 400MHz Ultra with 1GB of memory and 50GB
of disk so I can surf in timescales other than geologic?  (I'd say
glacial, but that would be way too fast.) I tried Grail for a bit,
but it is only marginally better in speed, and a bit worse on
features.  It's tempting to just put up with Mosaic's lack of
features...

> I'm tempted to learn some more C and write my own because the
> browser situation is getting even *more* terrible.

The thought has occured to me as well.

Jon