Subject: Re: netscape on sparc?
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/30/2001 13:46:19
Hi,

> > 4.7 is markedly faster than Mozilla 0.7 on Linux/PPC, and faster than
> > Netscape 6 under MacOS.
> > I would expect the same under Solaris.
>
> really?  that's pathetic.  4.7x is a bloated pig, i thought since they
started
> over one of the plans was to make it not a bloated pig anymore.  guess i
was
> wrong.  but the source is freely available, so all you *BSD nutjobs[1]
will get
> it running on PDP-8e and sun1 hardware, so it'll get more efficient.  :)

LOL :)

On this subject, is there any Mozilla based browser in the ports
collection which uses the Gecko engine without all that shite stuck
around the edges?  I know there are a few about - I just havent seen
a NetBSD/sparc one yet.  Konqueror is a bit heavy too.  The words
SPARC and Classic and 50MHz should scare you into thinking how
efficient this needs to be, or how mad I am :P

I'm tempted to learn some more C and write my own because the
browser situation is getting even *more* terrible.

Cheers,

- Chris