Subject: Re: [Way OT] Invincible Technologies Corporation Ultimate-5
To: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/30/2001 07:55:39
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Al Snell wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
> > do i just plug it in?  does it need to be configured?  that sorta stuff.  well,
>
> Not sure about this one in particular, but RAID enclosures I've seen
> simply emulate a single disk to the SCSI bus - plug it in and the OS
> should see it fine.

This is my experience as well.

> However, it may need telling what kind of RAID to do if it has that
> option. This is done either by a front panel/dip switch type of
> arrangement or in-band over SCSI using a configuration program that
> probably only runs under Windows and will be impossible to get anyway.

A number of units I've worked with have a serial port of sorts (usu. just
a 4 pin berg strip with RX, TX, DCD and ground...) which you can do out of
band management from. You might scour the unit and get lucky with some
silkscreened connectors, but connect at your own risk ;-)

> So try just putting some disks in and plugging it in. Odds on it'll figure
> itself out and present a single large disk to NetBSD, and you'll be a
> happy bunny with a massive disk! :-)

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
 - USATODAY.com latest Health news for 12/4/2000 at 2:10 p.m.:
    Tobacco firm backs lung cancer test: Spaz the cat will never again
    want for medication to relieve his constipation.