Subject: Can't send mail from NetBSD/sparc 1.5
To: port-sparc mailling list <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/25/2001 23:25:33
Hi, all!

Each time I try to send some mail, I get some strange errors, and it
is probably related to bad permissions or owners.

Here's a sample session using mail (using Pine 4.30 gives similar
results):

trond@kvanndal:~>mail trond
Subject: Now let us see
Here's some text.
And here's some more text.
.
EOT
trond@kvanndal:~>collect: Cannot write ./dff0PMGhr04885 (bfcommit, uid=1000): Permission denied
queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tff0PMGhr04885, uid=1000: Permission denied

trond@kvanndal:~>

I have no way of telling which directory is used for these temp files,
but I can only guess it has something to do with /var/spool/mqueue or
possibly /var/mail.

What is the correct permissions and owners of /var/spool/mqueue and
/var/mail?

Trond Endrestøl                          |    trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no
Patron of The Art of Computer Programming|   FreeBSD 3.5-S & Pine 4.31