Subject: su won't work on NetBSD/sparc 1.5
To: port-sparc mailling list <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/25/2001 23:14:49
Hi, all!

Although I am listed as an explicit member of the wheel group, I
cannot su to root.

Here is the relevant line from /etc/group:

wheel:*:0:root,trond

Each time I enter the correct root password, all I get is «Sorry», and
su exits with 1.

Even su'ing to myself from myself wont work either, and results in the
same «Sorry» even if I enter the correct password.

However, su'ing from root to myself (or someone else for that matter)
works as expected (without entering any passwords).

So for now I must use ssh root@localhost to gain root access (and yes,
I login via ssh from my home computer to the computer in question).

However, using ssh takes ages on this SPARCstation, and I'd rather use
su if I can.

I have tried su -K to see if that would help, but to great dismay.

What is wrong?

Trond Endrestøl                          |    trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no
Patron of The Art of Computer Programming|   FreeBSD 3.5-S & Pine 4.31