Subject: hme0 problems with NetBSD/sparc64 1.5
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/2001 09:50:20
I've got 1.5 loaded onto my Ultra 5+'s external drive, and am trying to
download the source tarballs so I can build a custom kernel (for some
reason, the "netbsd.GENERIC" kernel that's installed seems to act like it's
always passed the "-a" flag - it keeps asking me for the root/swap device and
filesystem type).

While trying to FTP the source tarballs, I'm getting a serious rash of
the following hme0 error:

	hme0: invalid packet size 2048; dropping

with other intermittent diagnostic messages interspursed like

	hme0: status=30001<GOTFRAME,RXTOHOST,NORXD>
	hme0: status=20001<GOTFRAME,NORXD>
	hme0: status=30101<GOTFRAME,SENTFRAME,RXTOHOST,NORXD>

Needless to say, it's slowing down the transfers immeasurably, not to mention
the fact that blatting all these messages onto the framebuffer is slowing
things down even more.

Is there anything I can do about this to fix it?  It's the onboard UTP
Ethernet connector (obviously), which is connected to a 100baseTX network:

hme0: flags=8a63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	address: 08:00:20:ac:52:d4
	media: Ethernet 100baseTX
	status: active
	inet x.y.z.n netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast x.y.z.255
	inet6 fe80::a00:20ff:feac:52d4%hme0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

No errors are reported when the same system is booted under Solaris 7.

Thanks,

	- Greg