Subject: Re: Sun announces $995 Sun Netra X1 rack-mount UltraSPARC-IIe server
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2001 23:01:59
On 18 Jan 2001, at 16:19, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> EXTERNAL to the core CPU die.  they are in the same piece of ciramic
> (how is that spelled please) but they are not a part of the same piece
> of silicon, they are infact, seperate.  interesting to know, yes? :)

Hi,

reading that the number of transistors of a given CPU with onchip
cache is larger when the cache is larger (that is e.g. the PP with
256K is a CPU with less transistors than a PP with 1MB cache)
gave me the impression that the cache is on the same piece of
silicon. That is what several magazines say too, but that does not
necessarily mean it is right.

OTOH then it would be called "on die cache" not "on chip cache".

mike