Subject: Re: Sun announces $995 Sun Netra X1 rack-mount UltraSPARC-IIe server
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2001 14:39:31
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

| > > b) 256K eCache.
| >
| > That sounds like marketing speak.  Mr Pointy Haired Boss thinks
| >    "wooh 'e' this and 'i' that - we must buy it".
|
| poppycock.  eCache is nothing more than Sun's name for L2 cache.  Sun has been
| making CPUs with eCache longer than intel has been making CPUs.  so pointy
| hair should buy something marked L2 since that is the "newer" name.

BTW, the "e" in eCache (also sometimes written in Sun patches and bug
reports as "E$") stands for... tada... external.

Yes, there is a icache, too. I'll leave everyone to figure out what that
"i" means, and /no/ it doesnt stand for "internet", and it isnt a
cute-looking translucent blue gizmo meant for mass-market appeal, either.

/dale