Subject: Disks (Was: Re: Sun announces $995 Sun Netra X1...)
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2001 16:05:21
Hi,

> > Old style IDE sucked big time, but don't let this old image stick
> > in your mind while looking at new stuff.  New ATA100 (particularly
> > IBM 75GXPs) are giving SCSI people the shits.
>
> ...and Ultra 160 SCSI is returning the favor.

I shouldn't mention ATA200, as this will probably turn into a
Emacs/vi style war.

Note:- The interfaces are moving faster than the disk tech is,
so these `busses' are going to increasingly mean absolutely nothing
unless someone makes a new type of drive.  ATA/IDE and SCSI will
bottom out at *exactly* the same level in the end because of
hardware limitations.

Ending this off nicely, I'm off home to my wholly adequate SCSI2
based SPARCclassic now :)

- Chris