Subject: Re: Sun announces $995 Sun Netra X1 rack-mount UltraSPARC-IIe server
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2001 15:04:08
Hi,

> two things i don't like about this machine are a) IDE!!!! (the closest
> ispell can come to IDE is DIE, pretty appropriate IMHO)

Old style IDE sucked big time, but don't let this old image stick
in your mind while looking at new stuff.  New ATA100 (particularly
IBM 75GXPs) are giving SCSI people the shits.  You ain't gonna tax
a decent ATA100 disk over two 100Mbit connections anyway.

For the price of SCSI disks in a server like that, you could buy
another entire server and have some proper hardware redundancy :)

> b) 256K eCache.

That sounds like marketing speak.  Mr Pointy Haired Boss thinks
   "wooh 'e' this and 'i' that - we must buy it".

Damn I'm beginning to hate computers.  I shouldn't have failed
chemistry at school :P

- Chris.