Subject: re: Fast serial ports
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2001 00:56:20

   	Hmm... My SS1+ gives me an error when I try to set it to anything higher
   	than 38400. How do I enable it to work at 57600, or 115,200 needed for a
   	56k modem?

   The hardware cannot do 57600 or 115,200.  The input clock has
   the wrong frequency.

actually, you can do both 57600 & 76800, if you set the clock divisor to
0, a value the manual says not to use.  however, it does work and i know
lots of people who do this.  i've even seen hacked sunos4 kernels where,
eg, '4800' bps, really tells it to do 76800.  a dedicated slip link
between an ss2 & elc was used as a backdoor beyond the firewall for an
old dated mail system.  it worked quite well at 76800...

i've done it with NetBSD on a ss2 but it never seemed to really matter
much with my slower modems.

.mrg.