Subject: Re: Install over two disks + QIC tape problems
To: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/15/2001 11:19:20
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk wrote:

# > They're loud.  At least the ones I've used have been fairly
# > loud.  Generally, the tape will go in with a solid THUNK,
# > and the drive will probe it about two seconds later, with
# > a loud whirr WHIRR whirr.
#
# This drive is knackered then.  I will have to take it to bits
# and see whats wrong.  It is totally silent through putting
# a tape in and ejecting it.  Despite being converted to text,
# that sounds like a tape drive so I shall expect something
# noisy when/if it works!  It get the feeling that the tape
# transport has gone phut.  Another door-wedge...err no I'll
# smash this one.  I will check it out properly first though.

Just to be sure, I'm going to ask a question commonly found in
section ID-10T, which is not meant as a personal reflection, but
more as a sanity check.

You do remember to slide the catch shut after putting in the tape,
right?

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Are you old enough to run it?