Subject: Re: Install over two disks + QIC tape problems
To: None <salvage@plethora.net>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/15/2001 16:03:40
Hi,

> They're loud.  At least the ones I've used have been fairly
> loud.  Generally, the tape will go in with a solid THUNK,
> and the drive will probe it about two seconds later, with
> a loud whirr WHIRR whirr.

This drive is knackered then.  I will have to take it to bits
and see whats wrong.  It is totally silent through putting
a tape in and ejecting it.  Despite being converted to text,
that sounds like a tape drive so I shall expect something
noisy when/if it works!  It get the feeling that the tape
transport has gone phut.  Another door-wedge...err no I'll
smash this one.  I will check it out properly first though.

> If it's not even probing the tapes, then something is
> almost certainly not right with the hardware.  As per
> usual, check cabing, termination, ID, sacrifice blood[1],
> etc.

LOL :)  I will dig `the tool' out (a 4kg sledge-hammer) and
fix it that way if nothing happens after checking those...

The drive electronics appear to be ok as the PROM can
detect what is plugged in but nothing happens when you
'wedge a tape in it'.

> [1]  Not strictly required, but it seems to help with most
>      problems involving SCSI chains.

Sounds good to me :))  I was thinking of sacrificing the cat
actually as I found it asleep on the bread this morning
(grrrr - no breakfast for me).

Cheers again,

- Chris.