Subject: Re: Openboot firmware updating
To: None <cykyc@yahoo.com>
From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/12/2001 12:12:00
Hey Jon,

I found out my Sparc 1+ NVRAM is dead yesterday too!  What a coincidence
:)

I took the dangerous/stupid way to solve the problem in the NVRAM faq,
and scraped away some filler on the side of the chip to expose some
contacts and hooked up a 3v battery pack to it (2 duracell AA batteries
in a plastic casing which came from a logitech mouse box with a blinking
light). They recommend against it for many reasons, but my thoughts
were: "It's dead... I can't possibly hurt it" :)  The worst part is the
soldering... I had to get my electronics friend to come over, just
because he has a more steady hand than I do.  The procedure was totally
successful.  I've left my Sparc 1+ off overnight and this morning when I
turned it on, all the NVRAM values were still there.

If you are looking forward to a long wait before your item is shipped,
and you may have an adventurous spirit, and you have the time to kill
(took about 3 hours in total), give it a try.

As for your other question, I'm not sure if it's possible to upgrade
openboot, if you find out it is, could you let me know also?