Subject: re: problem building emacs on sparc64
To: None <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/08/2001 02:11:55
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 18:50:31 +1100

>    >From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
>    > emacs almost certainly will need to be ported to the sparc64.  have fun! :)
>
>    Emacs is working fine.  Its just that the first time I built it I had no X
>    libs and the 2nd time I built it I had the 1.5 toolchain which I'm now
>    told is broken?
>

> the "1.5 toolchain" is only broken inso far that /usr/libexec/cpp (and so
> /usr/bin/cpp) does not define __NetBSD__, __sparc__, __sparc64__, __ELF__
> and a couple of other symbols i forget off hand.  that causes some things
> to lose, but if you use "cc -E" instead of calling cpp directly, everything
> will work just fine.

Drat.  So, I wonder what's been broken by updating userland from
1.5BETA2 to 1.5?  The emacs build is dying in its very early stage -
it runs configure and then tries to build a shared binary and run it.
That obviously worked ok when I first built emacs (Jan 5) without X
support.  I last updated pkgsrc on Jan 5 btw.

I may have hosed something by simply unpacking the 1.5 sets over the
old ones?  While running them mind you.  I've done this ok in the past
with tar and the --unlink bit but I can never remember if its
	tar xfp - --unlink
	tar --unlink xfp -
or what, and tar is very pedantic about it, so I used pax this time which
is what the install/upgrade scripts use, but I don't know if pax does
the --unlink business.

If someone can confirm that they can build emacs (not xemacs) from
pkgsrc with X support ok on 1.5/sparc64, I'll assume I've fried
something and re-do the "upgrade".

Thanks
--sjg