Subject: Why so darn slow...?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/05/2001 07:51:58
	I've noticed some odd behavior with both 1.4.2 and 1.5 on the pair of
SPARC LX's/Classics I've got as my mail/web servers. Specifically,
molasses-like response time when attempting to connect with telnet or my
mail client.

	I'm running qmail 1.03 in concert with tcpserver. For POP services, I'm
using qmail's native qpopup engine. Memory on both primary and backup
servers is at 64MB, and the highest of the load average numbers isn't even
breaking 1.0. Most of the time, it's 0.5 or less.

	The problem: If the machine has been sitting idle for a while, and I fire
up my mail client (Eudora), there's a lonnnnng delay before the POP service
gets going. Eudora usually times out at least once, sometimes twice, before
the thing starts up. Once it does start up, response time is
lightning-swift until I let things sit idle for an hour or so, then I have
to go through the delay again.

	Same thing happens with some telnet connections. Every so often, when I
telnet to the machine, it'll acknowledge the connection right away but it
will take up to two minutes to come back with a 'login' prompt. Since
telnet is a native service in NetBSD, I'm inclined to believe it's not just
a qmail anomaly.

	And, just to make things more fun, the same thing happens with outgoing
mail (SMTP transfers). Sometimes, when I click 'Send,' Eudora will sit
there until it times out at least once, then the SMTP
daemon/service/whatever seems to "wake up" and response is lightning-swift
from then on -- until the system sits idle for another couple of hours.

	I'm baffled. I'm still new enough at SysAdmin duties that I'm not sure
where to start. Helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

	Thanks much.

Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com  // E-mail: kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio: WD6EOS since Dec. '77 (Extra class as of June-2K)
"I'll get a life when someone demonstrates to me that it would be
superior to what I have now..." (Gym Z. Quirk, aka Taki Kogoma).