Subject: Re: SS5 audio trivia
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
From: ali (Anders Lindgren) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/02/2001 15:04:21
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Jon Lindgren wrote:

> AFAIK the audio driver has nothing to do with it.  If plugging in an

Hrrm better phrased "software issue" I suppose. Under Slowaris (which I
don't have around), you can run "audiocontrol" and in software turn the
internal speaker on and off while listening to music via line out. There
are even keys on the keyboard for audio volume available in Solaris
(although I'm sure you knew this already...)

> external speaker doesn't do it for you, the easiest thing is probably to
> go in and just disconnect the internal speaker.  It should just be
> connected by a removable plug (berg strip or like...), so it shouldn't
> require any melting of metals or such.

Hrrm I could give it a looksee when I open the case to put in a larger
disk - hopefully soon! - I suppose... Feels like a cludge though, given
that it's perfectly software-controllable. I think maybe we just don't
have support for it ATM.

> BTW - how is the audio on an SS5 working for you?  Under 1.4.2 I know it
> had several issues, but I haven't experimented under 1.5 yet.  Any
> issues?  Working well?

Never ran anything but 1.5 on these, but as far as I can tell,
audio is working perfectly in 1.5; I'm playing mpegs with mpg123
all the time and have yet to notice any other problems.

--
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali@ludat.lth.se - http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali