Subject: Re: SS5 audio trivia
To: ali (Anders Lindgren) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/02/2001 08:46:13
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, ali (Anders Lindgren) wrote:

> I am running NetBSD-1.5 on a couple of SparcStation 5,
> and seem to be unable to turn the internal speakers off.
> I thought once I connected the audio line out to my speakers
> maybe it would be muted, but while both audio outputs work
> fine as far as connecting them to my speakers is concerned,
> neither of them (not even the line out for headphones)
> disables the annoying internal speaker. Audioctl and mixerctl
> didn't help much; does the sound-driver simply not support
> this?

AFAIK the audio driver has nothing to do with it.  If plugging in an
external speaker doesn't do it for you, the easiest thing is probably to
go in and just disconnect the internal speaker.  It should just be
connected by a removable plug (berg strip or like...), so it shouldn't
require any melting of metals or such.

BTW - how is the audio on an SS5 working for you?  Under 1.4.2 I know it
had several issues, but I haven't experimented under 1.5 yet.  Any
issues?  Working well?

Take care,

-Jon Lindgren
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
 "Zing, zing zing zing!"
 "Keep away from the trout."
 -- The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer --
 "Who stole my lawn?"