Subject: Re: problem with boot.net and SS1 (pinpointed)
To: Andrei Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
From: None <Ronald.vanderPol@surfnet.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/30/2000 00:52:20
The problem is in /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/stand/common/netif_sun.c.
prom_getether() hangs my SS1.

Due to the holidays I finally had time do do some userful work :-)
I cross compiled boot.net on NetBSD/i386 and inserted printf()'s.
I pinned down the problem to the function above in netif_open().

When I use this hack:
        /*
        prom_getether(pd->fd, io->myea);
        */
        io->myea[0] = 0x08;
        io->myea[1] = 0x00;
        io->myea[2] = 0x20;
        io->myea[3] = 0x07;
        io->myea[4] = 0x46;
        io->myea[5] = 0x51;

the machine netboots fine.

prom_getether() just hangs my system. L1-A does not even work. I
have to power cycle.

I was not able to figure out what is wrong yet. Mostly because I
do not understand exactly what is going on. It looks like
prom_getether() jumps to a PROM routine. Correct?

Does anyone have a clue what can be wrong?

It is a 1.0 PROM machine with 4x1 + 4x1 + 4x4 MB RAM.

$ eeprom
name=options
sunmon-compat?=false
eeprom: property `oem-logo' not yet supported
oem-logo?=false
oem-banner=
oem-banner?=false
ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-