Subject: Re: problem with boot.net and SS1
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: None <Ronald.vanderPol@surfnet.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/13/2000 23:28:41
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Paul Kranenburg wrote:

> I seem to remember a similar TFTP failure on some PROM versions that
> could be avoided by making the size of the file to be TFTPed a multiple
> of 512 bytes. E.g., do:
>
> 	dd if=boot.net of=boot.net.new bs=512 conv=sync
>
> and install boot.net.new as your SS2 boot program.
>
> Let me know if that makes a difference or not.

No, same problem.

I definitely see nothing after the TFTP phase. I see no debug
output from bootparamd, no logs in /var/log/messages and no
BOOTPARAM WHOAMI with tcpdump.

My server runs FreeBSD 4.2. Maybe I will install NetBSD on one
of my other systems in a few days and see what happens if I
use NetBSD as server.

I have also tried the boot.net from OpenBSD. It has the same
problem. This makes me suspicious.

I succesfully booted OpenBSD from floppy a few months ago. Doing
so I was able to save some information from my dying disks. That's
why I want to boot diskless, I have nog working disks anymore :-)

Is it possible to boot NetBSD from floppy and mount / /usr and
swap via NFS?

	rvdp